University of Pecs – Summer Studies
Study at University of Pecs (Summer)
Hungarian Language & Culture
Taught in English and Hungarian
2 wks: $1595 / 4 wks: $2495 USD
All Inclusive / Min age: 18 yrs
Open to all Worldwide
* Hungarian Language & Culture – consists of 40 lessons (classroom and outdoor) lessons per week, on five(5) language levels for small groups of 5 – 10 students. Available for 2 weeks, or 4 weeks. Program offers effective language acquisition in an international learning environment at various locations, taking advantage of authentic, everyday life situations. With three (3) teachers per group, students are taught not only the Language, but also about current Hungarian culture, cuisine, traditions and much more. Language of instruction is “Hungarian” and “English”. Students earn 9 – 13.5 ECTS credits, and will receive an official Certificate upon completing the program. Program general dates are: July (late) – August (late).
Program held at University of Pecs, the oldest University in Hungary, founded in 1367. Today, it is one of the largest institutions of Higher Education in the country, and offers a wide spectrum of courses to over 23,000 students in over 500 study programs.
Located in the South Western part of Hungary, Pecs is culturally diverse and stimulating with a population of about 150,000. Close to the border with Croatia, Pecs is in the South of Transdanubia area, and has a mild almost Mediterranean climate.
Pecs and its surrounding region is a melting pot of originally remote cultures – Balkan,German,and Turkish. The capital of Baranya County opens doors towards Croatia, Italy, and the Balkans. The diversity, the geographical location, the history and rich cultural traditions of the region provide an excellent environment for this intercultural program.
History of Pecs dates back over 2000 years, and the name of the old Roman town, “Sopianae” is still found in the names of institutions and products. Although its development suffered several setbacks throughout the centuries, such as the “Tartar Invasions” or the Ottoman-Turkish Rule, it has not only survived, but developed into a pleasant, modern town, rich in historical monuments, and famous for its museums, galleries, festivals and cultural events. It is a “City of Culture”. Pecs is also the seat of “Baranya County”, a region with many attractions for visitors: the Mecsek Hills, the Mecsek-Siklos-Villany wine region, the Spa of Harkany, the Holiday Village of Hegyszentmarton, beautiful old villages and historic castles (Siklos, Szigetvar, Pecsvarad, etc). Pecs is a UNESCO world heritage city.
ACTIVITIES: Included (Social Program)
Local “cultural activities” and field trips are organized. Such as traditional handcrafted artifacts, learning folk dances, Hungarian cuisine, and hiking in the Mecsek Mountains to enjoy the view of the city. Program cost includes “social program” activities. There may be a small fee requested for some “entrance fees – museums, etc”. Schedule (details) are provided during the Orientation there on campus.
Students are also encouraged to “team-up” with other students and explore nearby villages, towns, and natural resource reserves in the region, in order to expand their cultural and geographical knowledge of the area.
The program is primarily set up for Undergraduate and Graduate students from all disciplines who are seeking a unique “Summer Study” program in Hungary.
Hungarian Language & Culture: 30 lessons per week.
Cultural Seminars held in both English and Hungarian.
* No specific course outlines. If needed, ask the primary instructor there (Pecs).
The course book allows for fairly rapid progression, enabling participants to communicate with native speakers at an early stage of language learning. The broad vocabulary taught on all levels is useful in both speaking and writing, as well as enable you between various registers (formal, informal). In addition to classroom study, the language courses also includes seminars, projects, trips and outdoor activities to ensure participants interact with local people and thus gain insight into everyday life (culture) of the Pecs region.
Highlights of the Program:
- Gain a much better understanding of the Hungarian Language & Culture
- Explore Pecs, cultural capital of Europe in 2010
- Exchanges with Hungarians and fellow students from all over the world
- Discover the Zsolnay Cultural Quarter, a beautiful World Heritage site
- Explore villages, towns and natural reserves in the nearby Mecsek mountains
- Discover Hungarian folk music and dances
- Enjoy Hungarian Cuisine
- Learn traditional arts &crafts
- Plenty of good memories
- Earn academic credit
Certificate of Attendance given to all students that complete the program.
Issued by the University of Pecs.
* Hungarian Language & Culture: 2 wks (9 ECTS) / 4 wks: (13.5 ECTS) credits.
Note: See explanation of ECTS credits in the FAQs section of the main menu
Campus housing is provided in a dormitory, or guesthouse.
Meals also included daily: breakfast, lunch, dinner (cafeteria).
Vegetarian meals available – let us know in advance.
Availability varies depending on when you are “confirmed”.
Early registration is advised.
* Note: Can also arrange own housing if you prefer.
Deduct 295 euros for 2 wks, and 590 euros for 4 wks of own housing/
DATES & FEES
* Prices are all inclusive: tuition, housing, meals, activities
SUMMER: July – August
* Check-in Saturday, and check-out Saturday.
* Early registration is advised !
Prior to April 25th suggested.
Email CSA is after April 25th.
Hungarian Language & Culture
* 30 Language lessons per week + Culture Seminars, and Activities
|2 Weeks||July (late) – August (early)
2019 Dates: July 21st – August 4th
2020 Dates: July 19th – August 2nd
2021 Dates: July 18th – 31st
|4 Weeks||July (late) – August (late)
2019 Dates: July 21st – August 18th
2020 Dates: July 19th – August 16th
2021 Dates: July 18th – August 14th
All Inclusive: tuition, activities, housing, meals, and excursions.
* Similar dates and prices in 2022.
Minimum age is 18 yrs. Both programs are primarily for Undergraduate and Graduate students worldwide.
But open to all 18 + yrs.
Medical insurance required.
Pecs is located in the southern part of Hungary, close to the Croatian border.
We advise you to fly to Budapest, and request a “University Shuttle Service” pick-up, and take you directly to the Residence Hall at the University of Pecs.
This is the most convenient way of traveling to Pecs from the Budapest airport.
Cost of the airport shuttle is included in your program fee.
Please email us your flight arrival details when available (as soon as possible).
SAMPLE COSTS IN PECS
Overall, the costs of essential items in Hungary are considered low by European standards.
Local currency is the Hungarian Forint (HUF).
* Meal at University cafeteria = $2 – 3 USD (approx)
* Meal in local restaurant = $4 – $13 USD
* Liter of milk = 70 cents (USD)
* Bottle of water = $3 – $5 (USD)
* Bottle of beer = 80 cents + (USD)
* Red Table wine = $2 – $5 (USD)
* Loaf of bread = 70 cents (USD)
* Theater ticket = $3.5 – $8.5 (USD)
Register Now – to get started.