University of Puerto Rico – Summer in San Juan
University of Puerto Rico – Summer
Spanish Language & Puerto Rico Culture
Housing, Activities & Excursions Included
3 Weeks: $3395 USD – All Inclusive
This summer, experience the Caribbean island of Puerto Rico. Study Spanish language and Puerto Rican culture at the University of Puerto Rico in San Juan. For 3 weeks in May and June / July, students will enhance their Spanish language ability as well as learn about Puerto Rico. Cultural activities and field trips are included. Housing on campus also included. Minimum age is 17 yrs.
* Spanish for non-native speakers (ESPA 312X)
Course offered at 3 levels: basic, intermediate, and advanced. All students take a placement test. Course is designed to integrate the students cultural experiences, and develop all aspects of the Spanish language: speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
More detailed course description available from each instructor upon arrival.
* NOTE: All students will receive an official transcript from the University upon completing the courses.
* NOTE: Courses taught by qualified Professors from the University of Puerto Rico.
Spanish for Non-Native Speakers (3 credits) In five levels: Basic 1, Basic 2, Intermediate 1, Intermediate 2, and Advanced.University level courses – taught by faculty there. Please note, placement will be subject to results obtained from placement test given there upon check-in.
Society & Culture in Puerto Rico (3 credits) An overview of island culture that explores its history, arts. folklore, ecology,economics, geography and politics. The course is designed as a series of lectures and workshops given by experts in each field and integrated with field trips and cultural activities. *Books are not included – cost approx. $25 per course – buy there.
Excursions / Workshops In addition to traditional classroom instruction, weekly field trips, workshops, and cultural activities are built into the program to enhance learning and to allow students to become better acquainted with some of the most important features of Puerto Rican culture and landscape.Previous summers have included trips to the Puerto Rican Art Museum, the Camuy Caverns,El Yunque Rain Forest, Ponce, Old San Juan, Luquillo Beach, meetings with local authors and artists,bomba and plena music workshops.
Housing – Included
* On campus residence housing provided (included).
* Double rooms. Single possible if space allows. Bed linens provided.
* Single room costs $250 extra per student – pay there at check-in
* Meal plan – 2 meals daily on weekdays (breakfast & dinner) in campus cafeteria. Other meals can be easily purchased on campus.
* Can arrange own housing if desired.
Field trips and cultural activities are included in the program fee.
These may include:
* Explore Old San Juan
* Puerto Rican Art Museum
* Camuy Caverns trip
* El Yunque Rainforest
* Visit Ponce
* Arecibo Observatory
* Luquillo Beach
* Meeting with local authors
* Bomba and Plena Music Workshops
* Note: Actual activity schedule provided upon check-in.
Dates and Fees
* Housing, activities, and excursions included.
* Airport pick-up / drop off included
* Spanish Language Course (3 credits)
* Summer Sessions – May – July
* Minimum age is 17 yrs
SUMMER SESSIONS June / July
|3 Weeks May (mid) – June (early)
2020 Dates: May 15th – June 5th
2021 Dates: May 14th – June 4th
|$3395 USD (all inclusive)|
|3 Weeks June (early) – June (late)
2020 Dates: June 7th – June 28th
2021 Dates: June 6th – June 27th
|$3395 USD (all inclusive)|
* Can attend both sessions (6 wks total).
Arrive on the start date, and depart on end date. Airport pick-up included. Email us flight info.
Register Now - to get started.