Portuguese Language in Lisbon or Porto
Study in Lisbon or Porto, Portugal
Intensive Portuguese Language & Culture
2 wks: $895 / 4 wks: $1695 USD
Start any Monday – Min. age 16 yrs
Open to all Worldwide
Study Portuguese language and culture in Lisbon or the coastal town of Porto, second largest city after Lisbon. Programs are offered year-around, and all levels are available: beginner – advanced. Group classes are small and provide each student with much attention in learning the lessons of four(4) intensive classes in the morning (M-F). Teachers use an individual approach and flexibly adapt their teaching methods to the students respective learning needs. Housing is with local host families or in nearby “pousadas” (apt), and there are several activities that engage the students in sightseeing, boat trips, theatre, and dinners. Can arrange own housing is desired.
Overall, the focus is to learn the Portuguese language and enjoy what Lisbon or Porto has to offer. Join us for a memorable experience! Non-beginners can start on any Monday.
Lisbon, the largest city in Portugal. Full of historical sites, and old world charm. Center of “whats happening” in Portugal.
Porto is a European city with an immense historical patrimony, yet is also well linked to the present and future times. Located on the Rio Douro, it has been a major trading center over the centuries, providing for a number of distinctive atmospheres in the city. The quarter around the riverside, known as the “Ribeira” is full of narrow, twisting streets with houses once painted or tiled in colorful facades, and full of bustling energy of working people during the day and the liveliness of busy “tascas” and restaurants at night. The district around the Cathedral is full of monuments of past achievements and streets lined with houses built like layers of cake. The “Cordoaria” quarter is steep streets and interesting shops. The “Baixa” quarter is the civic center with broad avenues lined with banks and outdoor cafes, and also where the two tiered covered market goes about its business. Of course, Porto is world renowned for the wine of its surrounding regions, and students have the opportunity to visit vineyards, producers, tasting, festivals, etc.
All students take 4 intensive classes of 50 minutes each, Monday – Friday. Students are tested upon arrival and placed in the proper level course. Small class groups (less than 8 students) so as to guarantee student-teacher interaction and involvement. Beginner students must start on the “beginner dates” mentioned below. Intermediate and advanced level students can start on any Monday. Classes are offered year-around. All students receive a transcript (certificate) of completion. Open to all students and adults worldwide. Minimum age is 16 yrs.
2 – 4 credits for 4 week program. See the “Academic Credit” section of main menu for details.
Lisbon activities include local sightseeing to famous landmarks.
All activities are conducted in English and Portuguese, by a guide or one of the teachers. There will be small fees required to pay for some of the activities such as boat trips, dinners, theatre tickets, etc.
Porto activities may include the following sites:
- Ribeira – riverside district is the most alluring part of Porto.
- Jardins do Palacio de Cristal – 19th Century park.
- Solar do Vinho do Porto – finest place in Porto to taste Port wine.
- Se Catedral – fortress of a Cathedral dominates central Porto from its highest hill.
- River Cruises – in barcos rebelos (colorful boats) once used to transport port wine.
- Sao Joao – most popular party in Porto – everything is open along waterfront.
- Fado – many restaurants where you can listen to Fado.
- Library of Faculdade de Letras – one of Europes most important libraries.
- Feira de Espinho (street market) – traditional market.
- S. Francisco Church – Gothic medieval building – one of few remaining.
- Casa do Infante (House of the Prince) – where Henry the Navigator was born.
- Tram to Foz – take tram along river to beach.
- Palacio do Freixo – 17th century palace.
- Santa Maria de Feira (Medieval Market) – see castle and medieval village.
- Torre e Igreja dos Clerigos – high baroque tower offering great city views.
- Lello Bookshop – an art deco delight with 2nd hand and antique books.
- Opportunities to visit vineyards and producers.
Housing is provided in local host family with breakfast, or in a furnished studio apartment with kitchen (no meals).
Cost 150 Euros per week. Add to total if desired.
Porto options are near the New Campanha Intermodel Station, minutes away from a variety of cultural and leisure facilities.
Select your housing preference on the registration form.
Can arrange own housing if desired.
Dates and Fees
* Can start any Monday
* Absolute beginners should consider starting on the 1st Monday of each month.
FEES – U.S. dollars (USD)
|2 weeks||$895 USD|
|3 weeks||$1295 USD|
|4 weeks||$1695 USD|
* Addtl week = $400 USD extra per week – Housing not included.
Holidays (school closed): National Holidays, Christmas and New Years.
Sample: Jan 1 / Feb 12 / Mar 29,31 / Apr 25 / May 1 / Jun 10, 24 / Aug 15 / Dec 8, 25.
Plan on arriving the day before classes begin. Earlier arrivals will require you to arrange own housing.
Airport pick-up available for both Lisbon and Porto for 60 euros estimate (paid there). Most students just take a taxi from airport to housing assignment. But if you want airport pick-up, please e-mail us in advance, and e-mail us your flight arrival details at least 7 days prior to arrival.
Minimum age is 16.
Register Now - to get started.