Making Your Trip a Success
Most travelers experience some degree of culture shock. How much depends on each person’s personality, knowledge of the country, expectations, maturity, and previous travel experience. The following is a list of skills that have shown to be very important in making an overseas experience successful:
- Knowledge of the country, language and cultural aspects.
- Tolerance of ambiguity and the ability to cope with vagueness.
- Open-mindedness and the ability and willingness to accept diverse viewpoints.
- Low goal and task expectations. Do not expect to accomplish too much.
- Empathy. Try to see through the eyes of the local people.
- Nonjudgmental. Accept and try to understand differences between cultures.
- A sense of humor and the ability to laugh at yourself for your mistakes.
- Good communication skills with and interest in the local culture.
- Flexibility and the ability to change, adapting to new situations as they arise.
- Ability to fail, learning from your mistakes and ignorance.
- Accepting the responsibility to adapting and succeeding in the program.
Safe Travel Guidance
U.S. Embassies and Consulates
Get USA Unlimited (International)
Center For Disease Control