Florence University of the Arts (FUA)
Academic Study in Florence
Florence University of the Arts
Italian Language, Civilization & Culture
Courses Taught in English & Italian
4 wks: $4395 / Semester: $10,895 USD
3 – 18 US Credits / 6 – 36 ECTS
Open to all Worldwide
Minimum age 18 yrs
Founded in 1997, Florence University of the Arts is an Italian Institute of Higher Education accredited and authorized by the Region of Tuscany to conduct educational (academic) courses in both English and Italian. Short term summer sessions, as well as Semester and Year long programs are offered. Open to high school students, college / university students, and adults worldwide. Programs are low cost, academic credit can be earned, and housing is provided by flats (apts) residences, and Italian host families. Study with your peers from around the world, thus making new international friendships. Average number of countries represented is 40. Average classroom size is 10 – 14 students. English language proficiency required. Early registration is advised, especially for the Summer terms. Join us !
Location: Florence, Italy
- Summer Short Programs: 4 or 8 weeks
- Classes are held Monday through Friday
- Class times: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm (can vary)
1st week (travel): Cultural Introduction to Italy
Select 2 Elective Courses (taught in English)
Monday – Thursday & Field Learning Excursion.
- Intensive Italian Language (beginner)
- Intensive Italian Language (intermediate)
- Food, Culture, and Society in Italy
- Cultural Introduction to Italy
- Italian Renaissance Architecture
- Introduction to the Italian Family (cultural)
- Style and the City: Florentine Fashion Walks
Semester / Year – Fall Spring, Summer Semester
Department of Italian Language & Cultural Studies
15 Week Fall & Spring Semesters
Earn up to 18 Semester Credits
Italian Language Courses:
- Intensive Italian (Beginner) – 3 to 12 credits
- Elementary Italian Language 101 / 102: 3 credits
- Italian Language Intermediate 201 / 250 / 265 / 275 / 280 / 285: 3 – 12 credits
- Italian Language Advanced 301 / 350 / 365 / 375 / 385 / 400: 3 – 12 credits
Cultural & Literature Electives:
- Cultural Introduction to Italy 200 / 202 / 207: 3 credits
- An Italian Identity: Speak the Culture 210: 3 credits
- Body Language & Non-Verbal Communication in Italy 250: 3 credits
- The Italians: Life, Culture and Society 300: 3 credits
- The Italian-American Experience 325: 3 credits
- Cultural Perspectives: Awareness, Exposure and Engagement 310: 3 credits
- Dante Alighieri’s Florence; Readings and Cultural Walks 340: 3 credits
- Contemporary Tuscan Writers: Vichi, Nesi, Genovesi – Readings & Walks 360: 3 credits
- Contemporary Italian Cinema (in Italian) 400: 3 credits
- Dante, Petrarca, Boccaccio 305: 3 credits (English & Italian)
- Nineteenth (19th) Century Italian Literature 305: 3 credits
- Contemporary Italian Literature 310: 3 credits (English & Italian)
- Vasco Pratolini’s Florence: Readings & Walks 330: 3 credits
- Neapolitan Novels: Elena Ferrantes Southern Italy 350: 3 credits
Courses selected upon arrival check-in orientation.
Courses are dependent on enrollment (may change).
Course details available if needed. Also, obtained from instructors. All courses taught by Faculty there at FUA.
Transcript issued by FUA (Florence University of the Arts).
Earn 3 – 18 Semester credits.
Student accommodation is located in the historic city center, just a few steps from the Duomo, Ponte Vecchio and school facilities – allowing students easy access to the various museums, squares, restaurants, cafes and markets that Florence has to offer. Safe and relaxing accommodations are fully equipped and monitored 24/7 by their “live-in RA’s”.
Shared Apartment Housing – fully furnished and equipped. Utilities included. Standard layout is multiple bedrooms, multiple bathrooms, kitchen, living / dining space . All located within walking distance to campus. Expect to pay 1000 Euros (or less) per 4 weeks, or 250 Euros per week. No meals included. Students obtain meals at campus facilities, or nearby delis, bakeries, and student type diners. Approx $1250 – $1350 USD per 4 weeks / $350 USD per week.
Homestay Housing – live with an Italian host family. Breakfast & dinner provided. Located within the greater Florence area, and not necessarily in the city center. Short bus ride most likely to get to campus. Expect to pay 1000 Euros (or less) per 4 weeks, or 250 Euros per week. Approx $1250 – $1350 USD per 4 weeks / $350 USD per week.
NOTE: Can arrange own housing if preferred.
Active social program, cultural activities, and excursions provided.
Schedule provided upon arrival check-in orientation. Small fee may be requested to help cover transportation and entrance fees (museums, etc).
Dates & Fees
Courses taught in English (& some in Italian).
4 weeks: June 21st – July 17th
4 weeks: July 12th – August 7th
4 weeks: June 20th – July 16th
4 weeks: July 11th – August 6th
SEMESTER / YEAR
2019 Dates: August 25th – December 12th
2020 Dates: August 23rd – December 10th
2021 Dates: August 22nd – December 9th
2020 Dates; January 26th – May 14th
2021 Dates; January 24th – May 13th
|4 weeks (Summer)||$4395 USD|
|Semester (Fall & Spring)||$10,895 USD|
Housing cost not included (extra)
Dates and Fees similar in 2021 – 2022
Minimum age is 18 yrs
USA students (Semester / Year only) may need minimum GPA of 2.75
Open to students and adults worldwide.
Early registration is advised.
Arrival instructions included with admission documents.
Arrival check-in usually on Sundays. Courses start Mondays.
Use airport transportation services to campus (housing check-in).
If you desire airport pick-up, ask in advance. Possibly available, cost extra.
Register Now - to get started.