University of Salamanca
University of Salamanca
Spanish Language & Culture: 20 hrs / wk
4 wks: $1995 / Quarter: $2995 USD
Minimum age is 16
Founded in 1218, the University of Salamanca is well known throughout Europe and attracts students and scholars from around the globe. Salamanca, Spain is a wonderful place to study the Spanish language and culture. Language instruction is in Spanish and designed for students at all levels. Students participate in academic programs which concentrate on Spanish language skills: from beginning to superior levels, each student is tested and placed in the appropriate level for maximum learning results. Minimum age is 16 yrs.
Capital of the province, on the right bank of the Tormes River, Salamanca is a university city with an ancient history. Historical visitors have included Christopher Columbus and Cervantes. Salamanca is 125 miles from Madrid and 74 miles from Portugal, and has a population of 125,000. Student population is over 15,000.
Spanish Language – all levels: beginning, intermediate, advanced and superior. Four hours of class per day, M-F. Two hours of Spanish courses, and two elective courses from the Cultural Options or the Spanish for Specific Purposes. Elective courses depend upon student level. Summer program is 4 class hrs per day, 80 hrs per month. Hispanica Studies Program provides an emphasis in Spanish Literature, History, Art, Geography, and Grammar.
Beginners Level: For those students who have little or no knowledge of the Spanish language and wish to acquire the basics in order to be able to understand and communicate on a simple level. Students are taught to read and produce simple texts, letters, and to understand short descriptions and texts. Basic daily conversation Spanish.
Intermediate Level: Aimed at students who are already familiar with Spanish and wish to consolidate their basic knowledge and improve spoken and written skills. Enable students to participate in conversations and debates, intervene in discussions relevant to daily life. Students are taught how to understand newspaper and press reports and narrative texts. Enhance comprehension ability.
Advanced Level: For students capable of expressing themselves and understanding standard Spanish. Building on their knowledge, gaining confidence in expression, and reaching higher standards of fluency. Students are taught strategies and communication skills in written and spoken Spanish, enabling them to express themselves in public, understand complicated scripts and elaborate reports.
Superior Level: This is the highest level for students with an advanced level in Spanish, and wish to perfect and specialize their skills. Gives students the capacity to communicate fluently, conduct speeches, and be able to grasp the message implicit in technical debates and programs. Students are taught to recognize hidden messages and connotations in texts to understand contemporary scripts, as well as to write fluent texts, using creative Spanish at the highest standard.
HISPANICA STUDIES COURSE LIST
- Spanish Grammar 1, 2, 3
- Spanish Literature: XIX Century, Generation of 98, Up to XIX Century
- History of Spain: Middle Ages, Modern Age, XIX and XX Centuries
- History of Art, Cinema, and Mass Media: XIX Century, XX Centuries.
- Spanish Geography and Economy: Human Geography, Spanish Economy
TOTAL HOURS: 4 hrs per day – 20 hrs per week for Semester and Trimester terms. Summer session is 4 hrs per day, 20 hrs per week.
- Spanish Language and Grammar
- Vocabulary Expansion
- Language Lab
- Practice of Communicative Skills
INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED, & SUPERIOR COURSES:
- Spanish Language & Grammar
- Global Communicative Practice
- One of the following:
- Spanish Culture (also taught in English)
- 20th Century Spanish Literature
- 19th Century Spanish Literature
- Spanish Literature up to 19th Century
- Contemporary Spanish History
- Literary Text Analysis
- Practice of Written Skills
- One of the following:
- Spanish Art History
- Current Literature in Spanish
- History of Spain – Middle Ages
- Economy and Society in Current Spain
- Practice of Oral Skills
- Geography of Spain
- Business Spanish
- International Marketing (also taught in English)
- Economics / Political Science – European Union (also taught in English)
- Economics / Political Science – Current Spain (also taught in English)
NOTE: Detailed course descriptions can be obtained from the instructor upon starting the course. All courses are “university level” courses and taught by qualified faculty in Spanish. Students will be required to take a placement exam upon check-in.
NOTE: Course listings can also be obtained upon request to CSA.
Students earn 3-4 credits per month. Thus, about 1 credit per week. 4 hours of class are taught daily, 20 hours per week.
Yes, you can use your financial aid on this program. Please have your Financial Aid office email us a “Consortium Agreement” to complete and sign. CSA does not offer any scholarships or financial aid, we can only assist you in using your home school’s financial aid on this program.
The earlier the better, since it takes time to process. Overall, CSA does not offer any financial aid, we can only assist you in obtaining and using your aid from your home school on these programs.
Excursions are available to: Andalucia, Seville, Madrid, Granada, and Toledo. Throughout the year, especially during the summer terms, the international courses organizes several tours that allow students to become familiar with important historical and characteristic landscapes of Spain. Students will receive a tour schedule during campus orientation. Tours are optional, and one can sign up for them after arrival and check-in.
Housing is available in a student residence on campus and local host Spanish families.
Costs vary per type of housing…..as follows:
- Student Residence: Single room – no meals: $250 USD per week
- Student Residence: Single room + 3 meals daily: $350 USD per week
- Student Residence: Double room – no meals: $200 USD per week
- Student Residence: Double room + 3 meals daily: $300 USD per week
- Host Family Housing + Full Board – 3 meals daily:
- Single room: $33 USD per day
- Double room: $31 USD per day
- Laundry service by host family will cost 14 euros per week extra (pay there).
Note: You can arrange own housing if you prefer.
Note: Add housing cost to your balance payment, or pay housing directly there (options).
Dates and Fees
* Exact dates and balance due is provided in the confirmation documents.
* Price (balance) may vary due to exchange rates, and any CSA discount given.
SUMMER TERMS: July, August – 4 hrs per day
|4 weeks||JJuly (start early)||$1995 USD|
|4 weeks||August (start early)||$1995 USD|
FALL QUARTER – 4 hrs per day
|Spanish Language & Culture||October (start early) – December (mid)||$2995 USD|
WINTER QUARTER – 4 hrs per day
|Spanish Language & Culture||January (early) – March (mid)||$2995 USD|
SPRING QUARTER – 4 hrs per day
|Spanish Language & Culture||March (late) – June (early)||$2995 USD|
Open to all students and adults worldwide. Minimum age is 16 yrs.
Register Now - to get started. Pay deposit to be confirmed. Early registration advised.